Thursday, January 30, 2014

Finding Purpose...

On a different note,

I think without being too presumptuous we all spend a large amount of time discerning our purpose... probably as much as anything else. We are goal driven by nature and subconsciously seek fulfillment continually. We are all looking for ways to be loved, to be successful, and rewarded for our efforts. This is who we are! It spurns us on to the next step in life!
I know for me, this topic continues to resonate daily... either defining my purpose or goals for the day, or questioning whether or not I am even in the ball park. I do believe our purpose can change, and that we are not to be stuck in some repetitive, carbon copy or ground hog day scenario. Each day, each moment in our life could possibly have a mission in it... I remember being asked when I was in Ministry what I thought God's plan for me was? And to be honest, it was quite clear... On any given day, I might be leveraged to share God's word, His Love, to sing, or encourage... For me to claim a specific duty, only shuts the door on other areas I might be utilized!
We all have gifts, skills, and experiences that will best suit us for specific opportunities. And, if we're open to it, God might even expand our abilities to meet His needs. If You would of told me years ago, that I'd be in music, or that I would of had the chance to do so much writing... it would of seemed unorthodox to me... It's only in my walk with the Lord that I have been exposed to His plan, His path and His ways. So, instead of choosing my own path, or purpose, I typically look to try and discover His plan for me on that day... or even in specific moments! Purpose comes from feeling we did something of worth or value!
When I go outside and play base ball or whatever with the Kids, I feel just as much fulfillment & reward as writing a song. My core knows that it was so imperative to invest in my kids future... When I discuss life with them, or have the opportunity to impart wisdom, those times are priceless! All those screw ups, failures, trials and hurdles are now used to share with those who I truly care for... Is there a better purpose?
To encourage, to inspire, to serve, to provide forgiveness or instruction... is there a better purpose? I used to say this when I was in Ministry on the worship team... I stand here singing, something I Love to do, but is that ministry any more important then those who clean the church? They are truly sacrificing in their ministry!
Maybe our purpose isn't so easily described or defined, or maybe it's just redefining what we believe our mission is in general. If my expectations cloud my purpose, then I will never find fulfillment!

Good day & God Bless,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment